Madeira was incorporated as a village under the statutes of the State of Ohio in 1910. The village was protected by a series of elected marshals and appointed deputy marshals until 1942 when Tom Fesmire was appointed as Madeira’s first Chief of Police. Chief Fesmire was succeeded by Chief Fred Doer in 1947.
Chief Doer began to expand both the technology and personnel of the Police Department in the early 1950s. By 1954, the department had a compliment of four full-time officers, two vehicles, and was dispatched via the brand new Hamilton County Communications Center. Chief Doer continued to develop the Police Department by equipping and training personnel in photography, fingerprinting, and basic first aid. Chief Doer saw Madeira through its transition from a village to city status in August of 1959 and retired in 1962. Chief Doer was succeeded by Chief Tom Gerth, who previously served the Amberley Village Police Department. Chief Gerth was replaced by Chief Don Wallace in 1967.
Chief Wallace saw the city and department nearly double in size with the 1970 annexation of the South Kenwood area of Columbia Township, bringing the size of the department to ten full-time officers. Chief Wallace passed away in 1971 and was succeeded by Chief Phillip Hudson. Chief Hudson established a sound base of written policy and procedure throughout his administration. The department grew to eleven officers under Chief Hudson, who ultimately retired in 1986.
In January of 2001, Gerald Beckman retired, and Frank Maupin was appointed Chief in June of 2001. He joined the Madeira Police Department as an officer in July 1978.
Today the Madeira Police Department is a modern, well-respected law enforcement agency with the Hamilton County police community. The department continues to learn and grow to better serve the ever changing and complex needs of a high-quality community into the 21st century.