The Madeira Police Department Investigative Unit is responsible for the investigation of property crimes involving the manipulation of documents.
This type of crime is on the increase due to the ease with which funds can be transferred via paper or electronic documents. To protect yourself from becoming a victim, you should do the following:
- Get a copy of your own credit report every six months and check it to make sure there aren't any credit card or checking accounts you didn't open.
- Never give your credit card number to someone who calls you on the telephone.
- Read your monthly statements carefully and report any discrepancies immediately.
- Rip up or shred your old checks and bills before putting them in the trash.
- When you renew your driver's license, don't use your social security number as your license number. There's no sense in making your social security number too easily available.
- Guard the personal identification number (PIN) you use on your various credit cards. Don't write them down in your personal planner, and don't leave them on a slip of paper in your purse or wallet.
- Learn to ask "Why?" when people request financial information.